34 English Hubs have been designated by the DfE across the country. This initiative launched in October 2018, is aimed at achieving excellence in literacy focussing on developing children’s language, phonics and reading skills and promoting a love of reading. Little Sutton Primary School in Sutton Coldfield, has been appointed as your local English Hub.
As a Hub we will be working to provide support to 85 schools in the 2019-20 academic year. Support this year will include:
- An opportunity to attend a Phonics Showcase to explore high quality provision in phonics and early reading.
- An opportunity to apply for funding for staff training and to purchase resources to support the teaching of phonics and early reading. (£3000, matched funding or £6000, unmatched in some cases).
- An opportunity to work with an English Hub Literacy Specialist to review and improve delivery of phonics and reading in your school.
To receive support schools must meet at least 2 of the criteria below:
- lower than average percentage of pupils meeting the expected standard in the Phonics Screening Check (2019 PSC expected standard is 82%)
- a higher than average proportion of pupils reading below age-related expectations
- a higher than average proportion of children eligible for pupil premium (2018/19 the pupil premium national average is 22.9%)
- Ofsted judgement of Requires Improvement or Inadequate
- a high proportion of groups considered hard to reach, such as EAL, FSM, travellers, etc.
- schools referred by local partners (e.g. NLEs, RSCs, LAs, Opportunity Area teams).
If you meet 2 of the above criteria, please download, complete and return a self referral form.
What our delegates say...