This is a full day event and will take place at Little Sutton Primary School on Friday 11th March 2022.
The current English curriculum makes it clear that children should be familiar with a wide range of poems, poets and poetic forms; however, poetry has become the poor relation of narrative and non-fiction and is often overlooked. The one thing we can be sure of is that the readers in our classrooms love reading poetry, and some even write it for pleasure! Ruth will present a packed day which will allow delegates to consider the place of poetry in their own classroom and explore the ways we use high-quality children’s poetry to deepen children’s understanding of text, and widen their vocabulary.
During this day we will examine:
- The range of contemporary and classic children’s poets and their works
- The place of poetry in the English National Curriculum
- Reading poetry for pleasure
- Analysing poetry
- Strengthening comprehension through poetry
- A range of strategies and teaching approaches for teaching poetry
This day is suitable for teachers, and leaders and in particular, those involved in English curriculum development.